[registrars]

[registrars] update: IETF IDN working group

the IDN working group is revising their charter, its not final, but these
are the new proposed dates:

  Goal & Milestone:

  Dec 2001        ACE specification send to IESG for advancement

  Dec 2001        domain name identifiers normalization draft last call
  Jan 2002        domain name identifiers normalization draft send to IESG
                for advancement

  Nov 2001        Draft of architecture relating input methods, namepreps
                and zonefiles
  Dec 2001        Second draft of architecture draft
  Feb 2002        Architecture draft last call
  Mar 2002        Architecture draft send to IESG for advancement

  Dec 2001        IDN Protocol draft wg last call
  Jan 2002        IDN Protocol draft send to IESG for advancement

the important date is Dec 2001, it usually takes several weeks for the
IESG to comment. If things go well ( which is not the usual case with idn)
it could be Jan-feb that an RFC would be issued, this would lock in the
ACE encoding and the prefix and would remove most of the issues we have
with the VGRS testbed.

hope for the best; and I'll keep you all up on how the re-chartering and
the goals and milestones move along in the IETF.

regards,

-rick