[registrars]

[registrars] Changes at PSI-USA, Inc.

Dear Colleagues:

[This note was read to the Registrars Constituency meeting today in Marina
del Rey;]

During the ICANN Meeting in Montevideo, you heard of my disappointment with
the large number of inappropriate registrations made during the Afilias
Sunrise Period;  my patience was then exhausted by the lack of
communications from Afilias to Accredited registrars.

Some of you misunderstood my statement that I am very reluctant to resign
from anything as a protest.  I stated that I have not resigned from any
organization in protest in the last 38 years;  I had learned that I could
never change such a group from outside;  better I should stay in the group
and continue to press for constructive change.

But what I *would* consider doing was to sell PSI-USA, Inc., the firm which
holds the shares in Afilias.  If the new owners insisted, I would remain in
the office of Director for the remaining two years of my term.  (The
business of PSI-Japan would continue as it has since August of 1999.)

Later, I proposed to the Afilias Directors that we address the bad press
which followed the Sunrise Period by selecting outsider Directors who had
reputations for high integrity and a broad knowledge of domain names.  I
suggested someone like Amadeu Abril i Abril or Don Heath.  Recognizing that
Amadeu's position on the ICANN Board would prevent his participation, I
contacted Don Heath, who showed an interest.

For those of you who do not know Don Heath, let me provide some
background.  Don was President of ISOC until about a year ago.  In the
fourth quarter of 1996, the Late Jon Postel proposed that there be new
gTLDs.  He conveyed his findings to Don.  Don then formed the International
Ad Hoc Committee (IAHC) and charged the Committee to study the possibility
of creating new gTLDs and to make recommendations on the subject.  In other
words, Don was present at the very genesis of this process we are all
involved in.  What followed was POC, PAB, CORE, the Green Paper, White
Paper and -- you guessed it -- ICANN, NC and RC;-)

At the 20 October meeting of the Afilias Shareholders, I announced that I
would step down as Director at the end of the Afilias Board meeting, later
in the afternoon -- and that we would appoint Don Heath to fill my term as
Director of Afilias.

Subsequent to the Dublin meeting, PSI-USA, Inc. has sold 51% of our equity
to a European registrar, InterNetX.  InterNetX asked that our management
team, myself included, remain in the company.  They also endorsed my
appointment of Don Heath as Director.

In closing, portions of my September Email were misquoted in the press --
and posted by persons unknown to me on ICANN-Watch.  If you have any
questions about what I have said or require clarification, please contact
me.  I don't want to compound the prior confusion.   I believe Don will be
a great asset to Afilias and to this process in which were engaged.

Cordially, BobC