From: Paul M. Kane [mailto:Paul.Kane@REACTO.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 3:46 PM
To: ross@tucows.com
Cc: Elana Broitman; mike palage; registrars@dnso.org
Subject: [registrars] Call for European Registrar rep on ICANN WHOIS
committee

No disrespect to Ken but I believe it is _necessary_ to have a European
Registrar (lawyer) on the WHOIS Committee. The WHOIS Committee is just one
(important) aspect, but can be used as a lever to address other issues.

Ken is already involved on many Committees and the WHOIS Committee is not
one
where the representative can sit back, but does need to be in very regular
contact with officers at the European Commission - (and I don't mean
Wilkinson
or Delmas) and knows his/her way around. There are 3000 survey responses to
be
reviewed, that takes dedicated time.....

The representative needs to be a "heavy hitter" at the EU level - else life
for
ALL registrars wanting to conduct business in Europe will find life very
difficult. Wearing my other "hats" I have been active in the Safe Harbour
Agreement, the CyberCrime Act, liberalizing VAT on electronic services (you
may
recall the EU wants to collect VAT from EVERY Registrar, even those based
outside the EU) and just today for example the European Commission wants to
stop
the use of cookies. See

Europe Goes After the Cookie
   Reuters
   6:20 a.m. Oct. 31, 2001 PST

   LONDON -- The "cookie," a simplistic identification tag that most
   Internet users unknowingly carry when surfing the Web, runs the risk
   of being outlawed under a proposed privacy directive from the
European  Commission.

The representative does not need to be a member of the NC ... and Registrar
representative will suffice, but they must be willing to put the hours in
for
the benefit of the community "pro-bono" ...

Best

Paul

<ross@tucows.com>;
> <registrars@dnso.org>
> Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 12:01 PM
> Subject: FW: [nc-whois] Next steps.....
>
> > Mike and all - Ross and I recommend that we nominate Ken Stubbs as
Paul's