[registrars]

[registrars] IMPORTANT UPDATE

There are several important issues that I would like to bring to the
attention of the constituency.

(1) An Update of the Smiley litigation can be found at
http://www.lextext.com/icann/. The Judge is suppose to issue a ruling today
after a third day of hearings. This ruling may a have significant impact on
how we as registrars conduct business, I will keep everyone updated as
usual.

(2) Regarding the XFER vote. Before closing the vote, I would like to make
the following clarification. The Ballot had two options: approve and
disapprove. I am now adding a third option ABSTAIN. This is to prevent
certain parties from attempting to construe the outcome of the voting
process. Several individuals mentioned this potential during the
teleconference earlier this week. If there is anyone wishing to ABSTAIN
please send me your ballot. To allow for this clarification, I will extend
the voting process for an additional couple of days.

(3) Ross posted a comment to the list on the ICANN restructuring paper
submitted by the registry constituency. I just want to offer the following
clarifications. First, the paper was authored by David Johnson legal counsel
to the .COOP TLD, not by VeriSign. David actually worked with several other
registry operators to draft this paper. I have had several discussions with
David and other members of the registry constituency both in and following
Montevideo. Although I believe the draft paper that I circulated among the
registrar constituency could be more widely accepted, the important thing to
remember is that both proposals advocate a Provider Category of Registrars,
Registries and ccTLDs in which each would get 2 board seats. I believe that
in this situation the registrar and registry interests are mutually aligned
and we should work toward the common goal of the provide category.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage

P.S. Please continue to check out the new registrar constituency home page
at http://www.icann-registrars.org. The executive committee is trying to
make it an important valuable resource, old and new content will be posted
shortly.

P.P.S. If you haven't voted please do so, a vote is a terrible thing to
waste.