[registrars]

RE: [registrars] VeriSign Registrar Comments on Status of Registrar Transfer Issue

Ross,

Thanks for your feedback.  This effort is not about proving someone wrong or
right, but rather ensuring that we manage the requests of our customers,
Internet consumers, in a fair and ethical manner.  This is not an esoteric
issue!

I'd like to add some facts to this discussion.  This issue, as defined by
the registrars who are upset about the VeriSign Registrar's efforts to
protect consumers, began in June.  This was when the VeriSign Registrar
implemented a process for authenticating the validity of transfers.  The
VeriSign Registrar has made numerous efforts, both publicly and privately,
to elaborate the reasons for our process changes, as well as open
opportunities for other registrars interested in protecting consumers, by
putting forth a sample contract that allows two registrars to easily
transfer registrants between each other.  In the case of the VeriSign
Registrar, we have signed this contract with other registrars.  The process
works well.

I thank you for the suggestion of "amending ... the existing document" - we
are currently working on this and will post it shortly.  It will be a good
opportunity to see how well aligned some of the current proposal is with our
philosophy regarding consumers, as well as identifying clearly where we
believe the document could be enhanced.

I look forward to your comments on the revised draft we'll be posting.

Regards,

Bruce