[registrars]

[registrars] Legal 101

I have had one or two people write me about the difference between a
preliminary injunction (PI) and a temporary restraining order (TRO), and I
just wanted to clarify this distinction in the context of my previous
emails.

A temporary restraining order (TRO) is an emergency remedy of brief duration
which may issue only in exceptional circumstances and only until the court
can hear additional arguments or evidence.

On the other hand, a preliminary injunction is an injunction issued by the
court when the moving party has demonstrated (1) probable success upon a
trial on the merits and (2) likely irreparable injury unless the injunction
is granted.

Therefore, although the outcome is probably not what Neulevel was hoping
for, it is not as bad as it could have been. It will be helpful to
understand these distinctions when reading the press coverage tomorrow.

Mike