[registrars]

[registrars] Dot-coop registrar

After this last ICANN meeting and the interest about who will be allowed to
register domain names in the sponsored space I thought I would share some
information. Some of this information I had shared before but everyone's
focus was in the un-sponsored space. I have provide URL's for further info
if you are interested.

.coop in their agreement states
" For example, one potential registrar has been located, the National Rural
Telecommunications Co-operative (NRTC), in the U.S.  NRTC is
telecommunications co-operative, owned and controlled by its 1,000 rural
utility co-operative members.  These members provide electric or telephone
service to 15 million rural households in the United States. "
http://www.icann.org/tlds/co-op1/Main%20copy%20-%20co-op%20-%20web.htm

NRTC is *NOT* an ICANN registrar. Also NRTC is now excepting
pre-qualification before the .coop agreements are signed. Did we not have
this discussion already about jumping the gun?

"The names claimed during the pre-qualification period will be available for
use the day .coop launches worldwide"
http://www.nrtc.org/navigate.cfm?page=dotcoop

Thanks,
David W.