[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Fw: [council] Posting of Second Advisory Concerning Equitable Allocation of Shared Registration System Resources

> Monday the 13th  is when I was going to have the various proposals that
> have been posted to the registrars, and dnso lists. They are just ideas
> posted, the CURRENT proposals as I stated above. Don't worry, your
> viewpoint won't be left out.
>
> This is the starting point, a document of the problem and the discussion
> to date. VeriSign has not even gotten back to me with who and what
> resources we have to work with so I don't know what kinds of data they
> will provide.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. If we are discussing starting points at
this stage and not final docs, etc. as you mention above, then completely
disregard my comments on timing.

If Verisign is somehow unable to provide you with the data you need, we
might be able to do something as a group. I have found that they have been
helpful generating custom reports for us from time to time. A number of us
could request individual custom reports and then merge the data after they
provide us with it - it would be a relatively trivial exercise and give us a
much better idea of what the big picture looks like. I'd have to check the
contracts, but I don't think that we are limited in how we can share our own
data.

> I think the registry has taken the appropiate SHORT TERM steps to prevent
> the behavior that is detremental to us all; however, we need to figure out
> the long term solution. This is what I have been tasked with, driving the
> process, not providing the solution.

It's not an unreasonable short-term policy, but it amplifies the need to get
the long-term fix almost exactly right. Expiries are now backlogging, but
they will have to be released at somepoint. Even if they are trickled in
with the regular delete mix over a period of time, it will still mean that
an increased number of expiries are going back into the pool. If the
procedures don't scale, then we might end up in a much bigger mess than we
are now. The scary part is that the longer this short-term fix is in place,
the larger the scale issue becomes...

take care,

-rwr