[registrars]

[registrars] Fw: [ga] gTLD Constituency Memo

Below is a memo from the gTLD constituency raising questions relating to the
formation of a ccTLD SO and its implications for the dnso.
Please note that this memo suggests that a gTLD SO (or a Registrar SO) could
be justified on the same (or similar) grounds as a ccTLD SO.
I think the time is now approaching for Registrars to consider
re-structuring issues.  These issues are not going to go away but, with the
move by the ccTLD community to establish their own SO,  will inevitably take
on greater importance.  In order to protect Registrar interests, we need to
be prepared.  As Chuck's memo makes clear, there are currently no policy
principles  in terms of which  re-structuring issues can be determined.
Chuck's memo represents an attempt to identify such principles and serves to
give notice that principles used to justify the formation of a ccTLD SO
could also be used to justify the formation of a gTLD SO (and possibly a
Registrar SO).
Clearly, this would have a major impact on the dnso and could lead to a
separation of supply side interest from demand-side interests.  (With g/tld
Registries, ccTLD Registries and Registrars each having their own SO, this
could leave  predominantly  user groups (IP constituency, Non-commercial,
Business, and ISPs) in the dnso.  Obvioulsy this would have a major impact
on the ICANN Board structure and election process.

Food for thought.

erica