[registrars]

Re: [registrars] [Fwd: [nc-intake] Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:47:30 -0500]

Paul M. Kane wrote:

> Can we discuss this issue so the constituency can have a position??
>
> Has anyone asked Verisign why names do not become available after a
> specified period following their expiry during the following 24 hour
> period?

Names that are deleted during either the 5 day
window or the 45 day window are available immediately,
although nobody but the deleting registrar knows
(unless they issue check commands every second on a given name)
that they are available.  Names that are deleted outside
of those windows go on 5 day registry hold, at
which point they are then deleted. During the
5 day period it is fairly easy to see
names that WILL be available (see below).

Since NSI Registrar doesn't
stick to the 45 day deletion that other registrars
do (because they don't have to cough up $6) they
typically delete outside of the 45 day window.
Consequently the names are not available to
other registrars for 5 days and it can be
predicted when the names will drop (5 days after
either the change in status at the registry whois,
or by simply monitoring when the names are
pulled from the zone file.)

Since NSI Registrar has the largest quantity of
good legacy names they typically delete a large amount of
"good" names. (In this respect they are
certainly doing the right thing. I'm sure many
other registrars might not do the same.)

For the benefit of those reading this that
don't know about the windows:

5 day window - A new registration can be
deleted within 5 days and is then IMMEDIATELY
available to any registrar including the
registrar who deleted the name.

45 day window - A name is automatically renewed
on the aniversary of the registration date
and the registrar has 45 days to delete the name
or they have to pay Verisign $6.

> My understanding is that at midnight EST names are released causing a
> "flood" of queries soon after midnight

From past experience, the names are deleted in the
early morning hours, sometime between 4:30 and 7:30am
EST approximately.

> resulting in networking issues,
> whereas if they were released incrementally during the following 24 hour
> period day neither the "flood" nor the networking problems would
> exist... comments/thoughts.....

Verisign has indicated that if they were to
delete the names over a 24 hour period (as opposed
to over several hours) this would simply increase
the activity over the entire day as opposed to only
in the few morning hours. I would tend to
agree with this.

(The only fair solution may be a .biz style
application process lottery. I don't think that
increasing bandwith will "fairly" solve the
problem.)

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com

> Best
>
> Paul

> Subject: Re: [nc-intake] Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:47:30 -0500
> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:56:27 +0100
> From: "Paul M. Kane" <Paul.Kane@REACTO.com>
> To: "Chicoine, Caroline G." <CCHICOINE@thompsoncoburn.com>
> CC: NC Intake <nc-intake@dnso.org>,
>      "'council@dnso.org'" <council@dnso.org>
>
> Yes.
>
> It has been added to the draft Agenda.... Can I urge all members to discuss
> this matter within their constituencies so we may have an informed debate......
>
> Best
>
> Paul
> Intake Committee Chair
>
> "Chicoine, Caroline G." wrote:
>
> > ICANN recently posted the following announcement about expired domain names
> > and there is a statement "This interim measure will not guarantee all
> > registrars will have access to the registry in all circumstances. ICANN's
> > Domain Name Supporting Organization has been advised of the situation so
> > that it may begin consideration of possible development of policy for
> > handling expiring names. Members of the community are urged to participate
> > in these discussions through the DNSO, so that all viewpoints can be
> > considered in developing a policy for fair allocation of expiring names."
> >
> > Can we put this on the agenda for the next teleconference call.
> >
> > http://www.icann.org/announcements/icann-pr16jul01.htm
> >
> > Caroline G. Chicoine

Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com, Inc.
215-244-6700 - FAX:215-244-6605 - Reply: erlich@DomainRegistry.com