[registrars]

[registrars] Election Thoughts

Registrars,

With the election upon us, I wanted to share some of my thoughts on the
proceedings with the entire constituency.

As you likely already know, the newly formed positions of Chair,
Secretariat, Treasurer and Technical Officer are all being elected for two
year terms. Two years is a very long time in this business (as it is with
most ;) and as such, it is the responsibility of the electorate to take a
considered look at the various candidates and their positions on the
multitude of issues affecting us - not only as registrars, but also "us", as
"the Constituency". This election will ultimately determine our future
success (or failure) as a constituency within the DNSO and the strength of
the voice that we have at the ICANN table.

It has been suggested that we must not forget the "bigger picture" as far as
these elections go. I couldn't agree more with this statement. *But*, this
does not absolve us, as the electorate, of the responsibility to look
closely at the records of the candidates and the agenda that their
respective companies are pursuing. This will require us to be bold and set
their rhetoric aside.

Yes, we are electing a body to represent the interests of "the
Constituency". Yes, we must move together towards proactive management. We
cannot forget that circumstances dictate that we make our selections from a
pool of representatives put forth in the first place by various
corporations. Will these companies allow their representatives a free hand
to govern appropriately? Or do they view this election as simply another
mechanism to extend their sphere of influence and perpetuate their
questionable practices?

For instance, consider the transfer issue when you vote. Certainly this is
but one of many issues that we are facing as "the Constituency", but future
action is based on past experience. Past experience with a few of the
candidates indicates a less than acceptable future for our constituency
under their leadership.

Two of the candidates that have been nominated are representatives of a
firm, the same firm, that has adopted a policy of charging registrants an
amount equal to two years registration to transfer a domain name away from
their company - an exit fee if you will.  A third candidate seems to have
adopted a vow of silence on the subject while proudly proclaiming to have
the capability to work closely with the rest of us. What level of support
can we expect from them in pursuing this issue to its logical conclusion in
a manner beneficial to "the Constituency" and consumers?

George Washington said it best - "Associate yourself with men of good
quality if you esteem your own reputation for 'tis better to be alone than
in bad company."

Now is the time to associate ourselves with people of good quality.

Look closely at the candidates. Look at what exactly they have accomplished.
Look at whom they represent at the registrars table. Ensure that you take
these observations into account when you make your final choice.

Some may perceive these as strong words. They might be right, but only
because I hold these views very strongly. Others may attempt to associate
these views with those of individual candidates or those that I nominated.
This would be incorrect as these thoughts are coming, quite rightly, out of
my mouth, not theirs.

I wish the entire electorate the best of wisdom, luck and patience in
navigating these very important choices.

Ross Wm. Rader
Director, Innovation & Research
Tucows Inc.
t. 416.538.5492