[registrars]

[registrars] International Domain Names

In Stockholm the issue of International (multi-lingual) domain names was
raised at the Names Counsel by our representative Paul Kane. Based upon
discussions with Paul, there appears to be a concern among a number of the
registrars that he spoke with that in Verisign's rush to market with
international domain names, Registrar's concerns are not being properly
addressed.

Using the following analogy, in VeriSign's rush to build the houses,
VeriSign is building no infrastructure (i.e. roads and highways) to get to
the house. Specifically, the lack of adequate tools and other support
services that are critical for registrars to service their clients.

I was approached in Stockholm by VeriSign registry that spoke of a survey
indicating general support among the registrars to move forward with the
international domain name test bed. I had no first hand knowledge of this
survey and it appeared on its face to contradict with the feedback that Paul
Kane had been hearing from the constituency members.

Therefore I would like to put forth for consideration, the issue of
international domain names. If the constituency decides to move forward to
the Names Counsel and the DNSO with regard to the Xfer issue, I believe that
it would be in our interest to ask for consideration of a ICANN formal
policy regarding international domain names as well.

As registrars struggle to ramp-up for new TLDs, it is crucial that the
proper support be available to meet our needs with regard to international
domain names.

I believe that taking a pro-active stance on both the Xfer issue and
international domain names will make a strong statement as to the commitment
of the registrar constituency with regard to issues that impact it and its
customers.

I have been working with a number of registrars attempting to circulate a
draft position paper with regard to the xfer issue. A draft should be
available for circulation tomorrow evening prior to Wednesday morning's
teleconference.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage