[registrars]

[registrars] Notes from teleconference with Neulevel CEO

I have just finished a teleconference with the CEO and senior directors of
Neulevel.

They inform me that today they have changed their plans on how to approach
their IP claim service.  They have spend the day with ICANN working out new
language to the contracts, and will ONLY be dealing with ICANN certified
registrars.  They have scrapped all plans to offer their IP claim service
(or any other service) directly to the general public or other entities
(ie: Trademark houses)

Because of the short time frames, they are going to offer registrars 3
choices (for their IP claim service):

1) a registrar can collect all the necessary data on their own site, and
send it in a batch file process to Neulevel.  The Registrar bills the
customer and Neulevel will bill the registrar.  This option will have the
largest price incentive for the registrar.

2)  a registrar can point a customer (ideally using frames) to a registrar
branded page on the Neulevel site where Neulevel will collect the
information.  Registrars will have the option of billing the client
themselves (and Neulevel billing the registrar) , or having Neulevel take
credit card info from the client and Neulevel billing the client directly,
giving a percentage back to the registrar.  This option is intended for
Registrars who may not be able to develop their own interfaces fast
enough.  Neulevel is looking into their systems to see if the Registrar can
have the flexibility of determining the retail price for their branded pages.

3)  If a registrant ends up at the Neulevel site, Neulevel will provide
them with a list of accredited registrars, and they can pick one to deal
with to perform the transaction.

I think it is clear that Neulevel will not be selling this service to the
public as originally planned.  If the public end up at their site, they
will have to pick a registrar to deal with.

I will have an email confirming these new plans from their CEO sometime
early Thursday morning.

In short, they met all of our concerns head on and were able to satisfy
every one.  I am very impressed with the speed at which they reacted to our
concerns. They are also anxious to start discussions with the Registrar
community on how we can work more closely together, and what other
"registry" services they can provide to Registrars so that we can in turn
market to our clients (ie: registry locking).

If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot me an email.

More tomorrow.

Rob.