[registrars]

Re: [registrars] DomainRegistry.com response to ICANN - Verisign

At 08:17 PM 3/31/01 -0500, Larry Erlich wrote:
>A copy of our protest of the ICANN - Verisign
>agreement is posted at:
>
>http://www.DomainRegistry.com/rejectcontract.html

Dear Erlich:  Nicely done:-)

I wonder about the following paragraph from page 3, just above your section C:

Allow me to also note that VeriSign's role in e-commerce, and the domain name
  registration business, is not limited to merely that of register and
registrar. It also
  owns and operates GreatDomains.com, a commercial reseller of domain names,
  handling (among other things) sales on VeriSign's behalf of domain names
  released by subscribers to its registrar business. VeriSign's operation
of its
  reseller business is itself the subject of monopolistic-abuse allegations
relating to
  its simultaneous role as a registrar. Finally, an examination of
VeriSign's most
  recent 10-K filing with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission
  (SEC) demonstrates that VeriSign's involvement in other aspects of e-commerce
  is both exceeding broad and exceedingly significant for the Internet
community as
  a whole.

end quote:

If this statement correctly describes the operations of GreatDomains, I
would say they would violate the rules against warehousing by an ICANN
Accredited Registrar, or any of its affiliates.

Regards, BobC