[registrars]

Re: [registrars] FW: Tucows' Comments on the ICANN-VeriSign Agreements (copy via Post)

"DomainRegistry.com Inc. opposes the position taken by the Tucows letter, and
does so for the  following three reasons:  (1) Redirecting the proposed
$200 million VeriSign research & development spending to a fund which
benefits ICANN  will be construed by the Department of Commerce, and
more importantly, by the public, as a buy-off by VeriSign to ICANN for
approval of the  "deal."  Neither the Internet community nor ICANN can
afford such damage  to their reputations at this stage of the development
of electronic commerce. (2) Tucows states, "[T]he proposed deal can be
improved along the lines  the registrars have recommended."  To the contrary,
the registrars as a  community do not recommend any changes to the proposed
amendments in exchange for  their endorsement of some type of deal.  Let it be
clear that the "registrars",  and DomainRegistry in  particular, are on the
record opposing any adjustment to the current 1999 agreement betwee Verisign
and ICANN (3)  Tucows  also states that "In our opinion . . . the new agreement
[puts] VeriSign  on the same footing as other registrars."  To the contrary,
the Tucows  statement confuses the line between registrars and operators of the
registries.  By permitting VeriSign to remain on both sides of this line,
the proposed amendments will give VeriSign a
unique and unfair advantage over every other domain name registrar
now accredited."

- Andrew Grosso, DomainRegistry.com Inc.