[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Pricing issue ICANN - Verisign agreement

> It has been widely reported in news stories that this is a done deal.
>
> I've also read that ICANN and Verisign want to have this approved by
> April 1st, hoping of course to not give people enough
> time to digest this

While it is certainly in the interests of those supporting this to suggest
it is a 'done deal', I see no reason why we should accept this.  The time
frame is imposed by the existing agreement - which is the fall back position
for both Verisign/NSI and ICANN.  However, there are some substantial policy
changes involved here and the view of the Registrar constituency is
important as we are key stakeholders in this matter.
My feeling is that there would be strong support for any move to ensure that
ICANN provide constituencies with a reasonable time to consider and comment
on proposed policy changes - however it would be useful if the Registrars
could propose an appropriate consultation process indicating the minimum
timeframes which must be provided for discussion and comment.
As I see it, there are two key points for consideration:
1.  Org:  Should this become a policy governed TLD?  Given that anyone has
been able to register under .org for some years now, I do not see how it
could be closed at this late date to all but not-for-profit organisations.
What enforcement mechanisms would be established? what would happen to all
those individuals and for-profit organisations that have registered names
under .org?  The only point I can see in closing i.org to all but
not-for-profits would be to force for-profits back into .com.
2. Separation of .com Registry and Registrar:  Is the proposed lack of
separation of the ownership of  the .com Registry and Verisign/NSI Registrar
balanced off by the proposed surrender of .org (and possibly .net) registry
from the Verising/NSI stable?

erica