[nc-whois]

Re: [nc-whois] Contribution Of Globally, Publicly AccessibleWHOIS Information To Identity Theft And Other Fraud

Ruchika  Agrawal wrote:
> and if consumers choose to disclose personal information, they should know who
> is collecting the information, why the information is being collected, and how
> it is going to be used.

One theory of privacy protection is simply to increase transparency about
who has information about you so you can take steps to protect yourself. I
think it was Becky Burr who made the suggestion that a whois service that
notified the registrant when someone looked them up in the whois database
would be a valuable addition. I like that. It shouldn't be too hard to send
the registrant the IP address, and perhaps more information if you used a
registration system for users of the whois, of the person who looked them up
and the date when their record was reviewed.

       -- Bret