[nc-whois]

FW: [nc-whois] Revised Draft on Bulk Access

I think Karen's draft moves us much nearer the finish line!  Here are a few
suggested edits.

On initial recommendation #3, there is no enforcement now, so recommending
"forbearance" sounds a bit silly.  Perhaps we should accentuate the positive
by urging that the new, improved bulk access rules be enforceable and
enforced.

I am a bit uncomfortable with describing the discussion on legitimate uses
as "uses v. registrants' interests."  In some cases registrants may have a
strong interest in preserving legitimate uses.  So I have suggested some
revisions in the paragraph that discusses this.

As we discussed on the call, it is very difficult to defend a blanket
statement that when applicable national laws conflict with RA provisions,
the RAA provisions must give way and the contracting party is excused from
obeying them.  Very often this will be true but there are some national laws
that may simply be inconsistent with carrying out the functions of e.g., a
registrar or registry.  So I propose to eliminate two sentences that may
convey the impression that we think there is an ironclad rule.

Use of bulk access data in marketing activities should be prohibited
generally, not just in marketing activities that are carried out by the
"third party" within the meaning of 3.3.6.3 (i.e., the licensee of bulk
access).   Note that the current provision refers to "mass, unsolicited"
activites.  Should these adjectives be retained?

My earlier post gave my view on the proposed changes to 3.3.6.5 is
contained.  Since there seems to be some disagreement on what are
"value-added products or services", it may make sense to ask that this be
clarified in future revisions of the agreement.

Most of the rest of the suggested changes are editorial or for
clarification.  I'd welcome your reaction.  Thanks again Karen for your work
in encapsulating the discussion from yestgerday's call.

Steve Metalitz