[nc-whois]

RE: [nc-whois] Summary: Comments on Accuracy.

Ken,  can you propose a different time period? I understand your point, but a recommendation would be helpful. I've cc'd Denise Michel, who has joined us several times and might be a good "test" for individual registrants. Kristy, and Thomas can also augment that input.

As far as corporate registrants, I can ask my "team" if you want, but I'd rather ask the  forlks who participated on our open calls...

From: Ken Stubbs [mailto:kstubbs@digitel.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 5:56 PM
To: Steve Metalitz; 'Thomas Roessler'; Kristy McKee
Cc: nc-whois@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [nc-whois] Summary: Comments on Accuracy.

Steve & fellow TF members..

i do have a concern regarding one issue and that is the 15 day time period
for rtegistrar inquiries steve mentions in his note below ....

it would seem to me that this period may be too short and the logic i would
propose for extending the time period is quite similar to the rational used
for creation of the redemption grace period .. here is a direct quote from
the icann position paper  ( see
http://www.icann.org/registrars/redemption-proposal-14feb02.htm ) ...

"Probably the most common type of unintentional deletion is caused by
registrant mistake. Registrants sometimes inadvertently fail to renew
registrations due to a clerical mistake or failure to receive a renewal
notice (usually as a result of failing to keep registration contact
information up-to-date.) If a registrant moves or changes Internet service
providers, the registrant might not receive a notice from its registrar
informing it that a renewal payment is due. Also, some registrants may
accidentally overlook a renewal notice or mistake it for a solicitation or
spam."

substitute "whois data accuracy inquiry" for the words "renewal notice" in
the above paragraph.......
it would seem that the same logic used in the preceeding paragraph could
apply to correspondence from the registrar notifying the registrant that
their whois data accuracy is in question..  if we are willing to provide
registrants the benefit of a doubt in the redemption grace process that it
would seem to me that the same reasoning would extend to these registrar
inquiries as well..

ken stubbs