[nc-whois]

RE: [nc-whois] RE: some links of interest

Hi everybody.

(the Electronic Privacy Information Center) sent to Congress in 2001.
http://www.epic.org/privacy/internet/whois_0701.html
http://www.epic.org/privacy/internet/ICANN_privacy.html

The basic recommendations we made were that there should be restrictions on
the secondary use and sale of this data; personal information, beyond that
necessary for contacting systems administrators about network or security
problems, such as home addresses, fax and phone numbers, should not be
included; there should be ways for individuals/ non commercial website
owners to anonymously register domain names.

Jason Catlett of Junkbusters, another privacy group, testified to similar
effect in July 2001. His testimony is at:
http://www.junkbusters.com/testimony.html#whois

Needless to say, the views represented in these submissions are those of
EPIC and Junkbusters alone and do not represent formal recommendations of
the non commercial constituency as a whole.

Best regards,
Sarah.