[nc-udrp]

Re: [nc-udrp]uk.com extension

It seems to me ill advised to make policy based on a single case.
To the extent that this may represent some kind of trend, then it should
perhaps be noted in passing as a development which bears further
observation.

Furthermore, even if a problem exists, and it is sufficiently widespread
to warrant a change in a policy of general applicability, then the costs
of any solution must be equally considered.  The initial work of this TF
in analyzing successes and problems of application of the UDRP to second
level domains will provide necessary information for even the
consideration of issues in the third level domains.

Finally, I observe that this is an area that potentially implicates
policy areas staked out by the GAC and sovereign governments on the use
of two and three letter country codes in gTLDs.  While UK is not, I
believe, an official country code on the ISO 3166-1 list, the
controversies surrounding this particular area of naming appear to me a
dangerous diversion for the TF.

As an aside, I'm not sure whether a significant problem could exist in
this circumstance.  The theory of cybersquatting is based on consumer
confusion -- the cybersquatter misdirects the user with an identical or
confusingly similar name.  The .uk commercial second level is ".co". I
can understand a consumer potentially typing "name.uk.co" instead of
"name.co.uk"  But to invert the ccTLD and add the .com extension?  This
seems to me very unlikely to occur -- even to the novice internet user.
  I presume that even browsers (if there are any) that still
automatically  append ".com" to entries without a TLD do not do so if
there is a valid TLD extension (".uk").

Harold