[nc-udrp]

Re: [nc-udrp] Authoritative Texts of UDRP Decisions

Tim,

Thank you very much.  I take it then that the NAF does indeed claim a
copyright in the material, has no general policy on enforcement, has granted
licenses to specific parties on request, and has not yet exercised its
discretion to refuse consent to any particular request.  Unlike WIPO, which
expressly grants a general public right to copy on their website, the NAF
handles this on an "as requested" basis.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is obvious that the decisions are 'freely available to the public', but
that is not relevant to the question of copyright.  The same is true of
television or radio broadcasts, which are certainly copyrighted material.
The question was not about terms of access, but about copyright.  The NAF
decisions are published without notice, so when you say that you ask for "the
copyright notice" to be used as a source identifier, do you request that we
put "(C) <year> National Arbitration Forum" on them?

Does the NAF apply the same policy on copying an entire decision to the
making of derivative works?  For example, what would be the procedure for
someone who wanted to publish a compendium of UDRP information, but who
wanted to perhaps copy substantial portions of decisions, with citation of
course.  Would that require separate permissions and separate copyright
notices for each?

If the practice is to require assignment from the panelists, then it is clear
that we should amend the UDRP to also require the parties to assign copyright
in the submissions.  Many of the panelists quote entire correspondence items,
and/or cut and paste substantial portions of the submissions.  For example in
one case, the panelist reproduced an entire photographic composition,
complete with copyright notice, in a decision (see
http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/graphics/image75.gif  ).   So, obtaining
assignment from the panelist may not be effective to secure all rights that
may be claimed in the decision.

Finally, I do not see how ICANN's or its counsel's position bears on the
rights of authors or publishers of the decisions so far.  The materials were
not written or published by ICANN, and it appears that ICANN did not require
any conditions on the authors or publishers beyond posting them on a
privately-maintained website - one of which has now disappeared.

John Berryhill
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania