[nc-udrp]

RE: [nc-udrp] UDRP Questionnaire

{\rtf1\ansi\deff0{\fonttbl {\f0\fmodern\fcharset0 Courier New;}{\f1\fswiss\fprq2 Arial;}}
{\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue255;}
\uc1\pard\cf1\lang1033\ulnone\f0\fs20\par
whilst not defending some of the activities which John eloquently expresses his opinion on below it is worth bearing in mind that trade mark attorneys and other IP lawyers also represent the respondents on some occasions.  I think the press is a good idea Ill have a think about that for the UK\par
\par
Katrina\par
\pard\li360\cf0\protect\f1\fs16 -----Original Message-----\par
\protect0\pard\protect\fi-1440\li1800\tx1440\b From:\tab\b0 John Berryhill Ph.D. J.D. [SMTP:john@johnberryhill.com]\par
\b Sent:\tab\b0 14 November 2001 20:06\par
\b To:\tab\b0 nc-udrp@dnso.org\par
\b Subject:\tab\b0 Re: [nc-udrp] UDRP Questionnaire\par
\protect0\pard\protect\li360\f0\fs20\par
\par
While trademark owners can be reached through organizations such as INTA and\par
so forth, there are no corresponding organizations of domain name registrants\par
or UDRP respondents (not all of whom, of course, are non-trademark owners).\par
\par
I am wondering, since the UDRP providers have email addresses for all of the\par
UDRP respondents, whether it would be possible to send respondents notice of\par
the survey, in much the same way that attorneys who have ever filed a UDRP\par
complaint (myself included) receive various "updates", informative notices,\par
and even color brochures, from the UDRP providers.  I gather that similar\par
mass mailings are not sent to respondents, but see no reason why respondents\par
cannot be informed of the survey in this manner.\par
\par
That would certainly be an easy thing to include in notifications relating to\par
disputes presently pending, or for which notice of commencement or of\par
decision is to be sent to respondents within the near future.  Sort of an "if\par
you've enjoyed being confused by people you've never heard of, being put off\par
by a string of lawyers who had no idea what you were talking about before you\par
eventually found one who did, scheduling time to consult with that lawyer who\par
*might* return your phone calls, trying to gather evidence refuting a common\par
law trademark claim, justifying your existence, explaining you are not a\par
thief, and jumping through all our procedural hoops on 20 days notice, then\par
let us know at [URL]".  Although I'm sure that others could word the\par
notification more diplomatically than I would.\par
\par
John\par
\par
\par