[nc-udrp]

Re: [nc-udrp] ICANN LA Meeting

Dear All:

First, please allow me to personally thank Dan for taking the laboring oar in this endeavor.  Second, allow me to thank each and everyone for their fine comments with regard to the proposed draft questionnaire.

I have had a chance to review Dan's draft from earlier this week and I have listed my comments below:

1.  I must agree with the consensus position that there should be no categorization or commentary regard the questions.  I believe the questions should simply be listed on the questionnaire.

2.  I also agree with Tim that some mechanism needs to be implemented so that once a survey participant chooses a category, the questionnaire then addresses issues pertinent to the participant.  In this regard, I wonder whether we could have the first question regarding the identification of the participant then cue the form that would appear with questions geared toward that participant (ie, provider, complainant or respondent).

3.  With regard to the first question, "Should some body be able to establish a rule of law that all panelists would be required to follow?"  I think this question should be removed.  The policy is the uniform rule applied by all panelist.  The interpretation of this policy may vary, but the rule is uniform.  As for other variances which may occur, I believe there are sufficient questions set forth in the survey that cover these issues.

4.  With regard to the second and third questions, "Have you used the option of staying the result of a UDRP action by filing a lawsuit in a pre-identified jurisdiction?"  This question is cumbersome.  Why not simply ask, "Have you ever challenged a UDRP decision? Why or Why not?"

5.  With regard to the fourth question about adding additional domain names to the complaint, why not simply ask whether complainants should be allowed to amend their complaints and why or why not?  In my opinion, the question as posed is emotionally charged.

6.  With regard to the sixth question about notice procedures, I suggest we simply ask "How would you improve the notice procedures contained in the UDRP?"  This question is more open ended and I believe it will solicit more creative responses from the participants.

7.  With regard to the seventh question about supplemental rules, I suggest rewording the question to read, "Should the UDRP providers be required to have uniform supplemental rules?  Why or why not?"

8.  I do not think we should ask the eighth question regarding specific providers.  The why or why not portion of the previous question should be sufficient to solicit an explanation from a participant that has a particular ax to grind concerning an individual provider.

9.  With regard to the ninth question concerning an appeal process, I believe this question should be modified to ask whether the participant believes there should be an out of court appeal available within the UDRP.  I do not think we need a why.  I think the "why" is implied (i.e., parities unsatisfied with the initial decision should have the benefit of a second review of the decision).  The better question is asked in the second part of this question (i.e., "How should it look?").  I also think we might consider asking which standard should be used on appeal (e.g., abuse of discretion or de novo).

10.  With regard to complainants that refile to 3 member panels, I agree with Tim that this is not an "appeal" issue, but rather an issue of what, if any, preclusive effect prior UDRP decisions involving the same parties and the same domain name(s) should have.  Perhaps a better way to get to this issue is to ask whether any affirmative defense should be available under the UDRP and, if so, what those would be.

11.  With regard to the question concerning a challenge in a national court, I believe this issue is covered by the earlier question listed under my number 4 above.  In addition, I believe the current form of the question begs the question and should not remain in the survey.

12.  As for the question concerning speed vs. cost, I believe the current form of this section will prejudice the results.  I would feel more comfortable with either providing five blanks and asking them to rank the most important qualities of dispute resolutions mechanisms and/or reasons for the UDRP.  Alternatively, my preferred remedy is for our group to come to consensus on about five or six qualities of dispute resolution and have the participants rank these qualities in the order of importance.  We might even ask a follow question of how the UDRP might be improved to meet their ranked list.

13.  I see no point in asking the question about how providers should advertise.  I am not sure that ICANN legally has a right to govern the method, mode or content of a providers advertising.  I think community pressure is a far better tool for making providers toll the line on this issue.  Let's not ask a question that we cannot securely give ICANN a recommendation which they can then implement.

14.  While it may be important to ask the two questions regarding disqualification (i.e., panelist law firms in UDRP actions and panelists before National courts), here again I think the questions are not going to give us any information that is worthwhile.  Any disqualification of panelists law firms or panelist from national courts would work a very harsh remedy on the UDRP.  Most panelist barely make any money on the UDRP actions and would simply pull out of the process.  Lastly, I do not think ICANN can put into place any policy that would disqualify panelist from appearing before a court.  This smacks of restraint of trade.  Most jurisdictions won't even allow attorneys to enter non-compete agreements.

15.  With regard to the question concerning reverse domain name hijacking, I believe this question should be revised to read "How should the UDRP deal with reverse domain name hijacking?"  Here again, I believe this type of question will solicit more creative answers.  In addition, I think the current form of the question begs the question.

16.  With regard to the issue of fairness, why is the first question specific to respondents?  Why not ask, "If you have ever been a party to a UDRP proceeding, was the process sufficiently clear to you?  Why or why not?"  The question as currently drafted seems to presume that only respondents are confused by the process.

17.  With regard to the question concerning the impartiality of the panel/panelist, let's ask "Did you feel the panel/panelist that heard your case were impartial and considerate?"

18.  Same revision to the next question on language, let's ask "Did you feel . . . "

19.  With regard to the question concerning consistency of decisions, I suggest we remove "among providers" and simply ask whether the survey participant believes that a consistency among decision is important and why or why not.

20.  I think the last question submitted by Dan should be removed.  I do not think we should design a survey that pulls out a fact from one recently reported case and makes it an issue for our survey.

I hope these comments will assist Dan in putting together Draft II.

Again, I want to thank everyone for their input and Milton and Caroline for their leadership.

Kind regards.

J. Scott Evans
ADAMS, SCHWARTZ & EVANS, P.A.
jse@adamspat.com