[nc-transfer]

[nc-transfer] RE: update on what happens next on Transfers

Hello All,

Having attended many discussions on the transfers report over the past few
days, I make the following suggestions to the task force:

(1) Extract from the interim report the higher order policy issues
 - these seem mainly to be listed under "General Principles" in the report
 - lets get individual constituencies to agree or suggest changes to these
general principles

(2) Identify any changes required in the registry/registrar contracts
resulting from (1)

(3) Move many of the implementation details into an appendix titled
"Reference Implementation"
- the details have been important to ensure that the general principles can
be implemented, and to assist those members of the community with an eye for
detail to understand the full business process
- the reference implementation can help guide ICANN staff, registries, and
registrars in the implementation of the policy.

(4) Build into the policy recommendations a formal review process
- e.g 6 months, 12 months, 24 months
- the policy will never cover all issues 100% - it is better to get
implementations of the policy into the community, and then use practical
experience to drive the review.
- the review process should be simple and timely - e.g a 30 day comment
period, one formal meeting, a draft report for email editing, and a final
report to the names council/GNSO.

With regard to further comment periods, the transfer issue has had around 18
months of comments, and there should now be enough information to agree on
the higher order policy issues.   The task force needs to meet and consider
the comments received so far.  At all times additional comments are welcome,
but they are most effective when provided within the existing timelines.  If
persons representing constituencies or larger organisations feel they do not
have time to put in a formal response on behalf of their members, then the
persons should make a submission as an individual (in fact it is preferable
to distinguish formally adopted positions from an individual's submission
made in the best interest of their organisation/constituency).

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin