[nc-transfer]

Re: [nc-transfer] RE: [registrars] Pandora's Box (as it relatestotransfers)

Ross,

This is just a quick response to your FYI at this point.

I read through the document (it's not too long) and I thought about it
for a bit.
I just don't *get* that the implications necessarily follow from the
facts.
I see the facts....

for example, you write (quoted more completely below)
> Fact: Without appropriate enforcement, even the most perfect policy is
> > useless.
> > Implication: We must find a party willing to undertake appropriate
> > enforcement of the new transfers policy.

I don't see that it follows that we *must* find a party willing to
undertake.
first I dont see it necessarily being *us* and second, I dont see it as
something that *has* to happen.
Every law or policy or code of conduct has some transgressors. If
everyone brakes a particular law...well...does everyone get thrown in
jail? not necessarily. take speeding for example. Almost nowhere in the
world...is a speed limit strictly enforced to within 1 mph or kph of the
designated limit. Only the serious transgressors are sanctioned and you
have an outside agency...(police) tasked with enforcement.  Its not the
auto dealers or the licence bureau.  And in many places the police
operate under special legislation that grants them specific rights. My
point is...that the act of enforcement...is not necessarily a
'given'....some rules just dont get enforced at all, some get enforced
partially and some are completely ignored. I think for you to get the 'A
then B' logic...you would have to show first...a few facts outlining how
all the transgressions are bad...and widespread...and enforcement being
a matter of public policy or public order.

And when I re-read....I start having a problem even with the
fact...cause...sometimes...policies are there...just to get most
people...to toe the line...and it is accepted that a few will cross it.
its called self-regulation.
A great example of this... is waiting lines (or lineups) for popular
events line first-run movies or shows or washrooms. Most people wait
patiently in line, following the person(s) in front not trying to pass
and not expecting to have to worry about the people behind them ... a
few will go find friends in line a jump in, a few will wait for the line
to start moving and try to sneak in between moving people...(kinda like
cars try to sneak in to a long line at an exit...
Now in this case....it is very rare to find enforcement. People are
generally polite and civil, and they follow the rules.

I think I've said enough for the day...

--
Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology