[nc-transfer]

RE: [nc-transfer] Call to Action...

> we need to deal with that
> issue and it seems to be the one relative to which we have
> made the least progress (in my opinion having been
> unnecessarily side-track by the apparent authority issue).

Completely agreed on all points.

> In the IPC meeting today, the problem of registrars renewing
> expired domains on their own behalf and then transferring
> them to a third party instead of returning the expired domain
> to the registry was raised as a significant problem.  I think
> that my proposal would address that problem by requiring an
> expired domain name to be returned to the Registry at the end
> of the redemption grace period; however, I pose the question
> as to whether such behavior should also be addressed in the
> transfer policy itself as being an improper renewal-transfer?

It could be. It strikes me that it might be better dealt with as part of
a standardized deletions policy however.

ie - all domain names that have not been paid for at the end of term
must be returned to the registry for deletion (at which point your
policy proposal could kick in and let the name cool).

-rwr