[nc-transfer]

[nc-transfer] Re: [ga] WLS

Joe Sims wrote:
> I have been following the discussions on this subject, and must confess
> that I still am confused about exactly what this (and the many other
> similar statements that have appeared from others) really mean.  Could
> someone explain to me precisely how the WLS would harm consumers and/or
> registrars?

     Joe, I represent the NCC on the Transfers task force.  These are my
policy concerns:

1.  I don't think existing domain holders should have to pay extra to get on
a WLS, so they don't lose a domain by mistakes.

2.   I don't think the system should enhance the likihood that the domain is
transfered by mistake, or create incentives by any party to make transfers
occur that should not have happened.

3.     I think that during a reasonable period when an expired domain is
available for others, the original domain holders should be able to get it
back, and it would be best if there were incentives for that period to be
contacted, for example, by persons who wanted to buy the domain.

4.    If there is some value in the expired domain, I would prefer a system
where the previous owner of the domain benefited, rather than a registrar
type service, in part to reduce the incentives to have a domain expired by a
non-mistake mistake.

5.     I think ICANN should be concerned about competition issues.  You are
an antitrust lawyer.  It should be obvious that Verisign has a dominant
position in the gTLD registrations, and it should be obvious also that
Verisign has continually abused its monopoly position.  It took us several
months to transfer out domains from Verisign to a competitor who charged 1/3
the price, because Versign made it very difficult.

6. 	The recent "expiration department" fiasco seemed a lot like a criminal
fraud to me.  How could you look at what what Versigin did there, and then
recommend that they run an expiration service?  Representing domain name
holders, this seems (to me) to send exactly the wrong signal.    You would
be rewarding a firm that was actively defrauding domain holders over the
expiration issue.

7.    Why not have all the competitive registrars run an expiration service
as a open access coop, with rules that favor the existing domain holders
(ability to reclaim the domain during 30 day period when domain is on the
list), *and* which avoids the speed dial system?

8.  Is there any evidence that Versigin's ability to discharge its
contractual obligations with ICANN can't be met without extending its
monopoly control over .com and .net domains?

   Jamie