Micheal Sherrill

From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
Date:  Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:55:34 -0700

Barbara and all,

  We [INEGroup] agree with you here Barbara, and are in process of
contacting the appropriate senate and House members that are
involved in this rather arcane and misguided legislation being considered.

  I personally would suggest that anyone concerned about their personal
safety, and privacy that are Domain Name holders do likewise without
delay...

Barbara Simons wrote:

> I agree that accurate information should be provided for the technical
> liaison.  What I'm saying is that a law that makes it a felony to provide
> inaccurate information for the domain name holder creates major problems
> regarding political speech, shelters for battered women, children who own
> their own domain name, etc.  The whois database is an open invitation for
> massive privacy invasion of domain name owners (as opposed to technical
> contacts).  HR 4640 would make it a felony in the U.S., punishable by up to
> 5 years in prison, to provide false address information for the owner of a
> domain name.  This would be a boon to trademark holders who are eager to
> send out large numbers of cease and desist letters, and a blow to people who
> care about protecting our privacy.
>
> I didn't mean to start a discussion about HR 4640, though I hope that this
> has helped to make our US based members aware of this misguided legislative
> proposal.
>
> Regards,
> Barbara
>
> On 6/17/02 5:03 PM, "todd glassey" <todd.glassey@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > The problem is more than just the submission of a false credential, it is
> > the operations of the Registrar with that false credential that compounds
> > the problem. I would suggest that an additional requirements such that the
> > registrars were required to ping each one of the addresses that their domain
> > managers have supplied and any that bounce more than once are flamed, and
> > the domain is pulled and held in suspense for an additional 30 days.
> >
> > If you have a domain and you don't know whether its up or down in a months
> > time then its not too important and well should be flamed.
> >
> > Todd Glassey

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827