[nc-transfer]

RE: [nc-transfer] Standardized definitions

Ross Wm. Rader wrote on Wednesday, 16 January 2002 7:18 a.m.

> Elisabeth,
>
> Thanks for your insightful comments.

[snip]

> > The "Sponsoring Organization" in plain English (quoting a native
> > English European) is associated in Europe with something like
> > Formula 1 race, and Camel cigarettes. ICANN try to re-write history
> > transforming ccTLD Managers to "Sponsoring" camels, and
> > unilateraly put it on their IANA website.
>
> I can see why this term may not have universal appeal. ;)
> Nevertheless, the
> document avoids a definition of this term. I may attempt to
> put one together
> in the near future, but for now, the document is silent.

This is offtopic I know, but I am also interested in the use of the
"sponsorship" language.  Contrary to Elizabeth however my initial thought
(but not a very detailed one :-)) when I saw this language, was that it
might be a useful way of avoiding the language of "delegation" or "licence".
To me as a lawyer these types of terms, which have often been used to
describe the ability of a participant in the DNS (eg a TLD manager or a
registrar ... or ICANN itself) to allocate rights to someone else (eg an SLD
manager or registrant or TLD manager), seem to carry top down conferral of
rights implications which may not be appropriate where the relationship is
more symbiotic.

I take Elizabeth's point re the definition of "sponsor" but in the IT world
of course "sponsor" is often the term for a person who promotes or champions
a particular project. To me personally it seems that that fits quite well
with the RFC 1591 trusteeship ideals for example.

Just my NZ$0.2c worth ;-)

Has there been any clarification by ICANN staff as to what they intended in
use of the "sponsorship" language or what they think it means?

Regards,

Rick Shera