[nc-transfer]

Re: [nc-transfer] Standardized definitions

Ross,

It is definitely a good idea to have definitions document,
but it must be very carrefully drafted.

Looking from ccTLD perspective - I am chairing the CENTR IANA WG
and we are utmostly interested in definitions issue - I will have
several additions or corrections to make, and I would do so with
the help of my colleagues.

My prima facies immediate observation (reaction epidermique
en francais) is that it is very important to NOT re-write old
definitions to the ICANN gTLD scheme Registry-Registrar-Registrant,
and be very carreful to some ICANN new concepts, which did appeared
with new gTLD, and which are not accepted imposed on ccTLD.

As an example, the word Internic was never associated by
old Internautes with any webthing, but with
"whois -h rs.internic.net" query. The NIC-Handle was - and is still
- the name of object associated with Administrative or Technical
Contact, etc, etc.
The "Sponsoring Organization" in plain English (quoting a native
English European) is associated in Europe with something like
Formula 1 race, and Camel cigarettes. ICANN try to re-write history
transforming ccTLD Managers to "Sponsoring" camels, and
unilateraly put it on their IANA website.

Re your note "Whois", why you do not mention RIPE database software,
free and used worldwide.

I stop here, more off line, an input to your document.

Elisabeth