From: Ross Wm. Rader [mailto:ross@tucows.com]
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 12:19 AM
To: nc-transfer@dnso.org
Subject: [nc-transfer] TOR: RC Draft

All,

I have taken Milton's suggestions and made a few modifications that I
believe put this document much closer to completion. I have taken the
liberty of doing a redline of the original Cade draft and the Mueller draft.
I then blue-lined my changes against the Mueller draft.

For convenience, please find both a redline version and a clean version
attached to this message in MS-DOC format- ASCII text follows the body of
this message below.

Specifics

I'm not sure that I am completely happy with the modifications that I've
made to sections 5 & 6 - my intent may not be clear. The purpose of the
modifications to these two sections were made to clarify the consensus
policy approach that we are taking. If my modifications are inconsistent
with the by-laws, lets talk further as I made these edits in order to ensure
closer synchronicity with the terms of the by-laws.

You will also notice that I picked some arbitrary dates in section 6. I have
no real preference as to the specific dates but also realize that sooner or
later we are going to need to pick some concrete deadlines. If these are
achievable, lets try and leave them in, if not, lets discuss further and
modify appropriately.

A reasonable body of work has already been completed concerning point #3
below - I hope to have most of these items collected and synthesized by
Monday at which point I will start forwarding more concrete thoughts to the
list for further discussion.

My only concern about the TOR is that they may be to broad. I would like to
discuss this with the TF further. If we hope to achieve our work roughly
according to the schedule below, we may have to be more specific in setting
our goals up-front.

Comments/questions, as always, welcomed.

-rwr
t.416.538.5492

nctf-transfers-tor-draft-v0r0d4-112901
Terms of Reference for the Names Council Task Force on Transfers

The purpose of the Task Force on Transfers is to:

1. Develop understanding across the Names Council of the issues and existing
policies underlying and governing the transfer of domain names between
registrars;

2. Develop a broader understanding of the procedures for transferring
sponsorship of domain names domain names as described by the Registrar
Constituency's procedural document, which has been voted on by the Registrar
Constituency;

3. Identify any issues not addressed by the Registrar Constituency's
document and develop appropriate task force processes to ensure that these
outstanding issues are addressed in a timely manner that reflects the input
of all affected stakeholders;

4. Identify relevant policy issues raised by the transfer of domain names
between registrars in a shared registry system environment, and develop
recommendations to define an appropriate policy;

5. Formulate and present specific recommendations to the Names Council that
provides guidance to the ICANN Board of Directors concerning the amendment
of the existing contractual agreements, where such changes are needed to
correct any identified clauses that require policy guidance or clarification
should the Names Council determine that consensus support for the
recommendations exist as specified in section 2.d of the ICANN Bylaws;

6. Follow the timetable agreed to at the Marina del Rey DNSO Names Council
meeting: publish an interim report no later than January 28, 2002 and a
completed report for submission by the Names Council to the Constituencies
for comment and consultation by March 1, 2002.