[nc-str] Draft report version 7 - REQUEST FOR APPROVAL
we need to be careful about the meaning of published. The status of the document version 7 is that of a draft interim report from a task force, awaiting approval by the members of that task force (TF). TF members may circulate the report to constituencies/GA to solicit opinion. But this is not "publication".
If approved, in the usual way, it will be presented as an interim report to the Names Council and then go for a period of public comments, of a length determined by the NC. I favour as long a period as possible subject to the need of the Board. After that period of public consultation, the task force will produce a final report which will be presented to the NC for adoption, and forwarding to the Board. At that point I would call the report published.
Terms of reference (TOR)
The TOR of this task force were debated extensively within the TF from September to December 2001. The TOR are clear and comments that apply are clear too - this is no arbitrary decision. However, no draftsman is infallible. If you have a specific point that you believe was missed and that is within the TOR, please communicate this to the TF via your TF rep.
Single or holistic approach?
The TOR state: "The task force will consider proposals made to the Board before 31 January 2002". To date the only proposal formally made to the Board is the ALSC. There is still no formal proposal from the ccTLDs.
Where would you draw the line on which proposals to consider?
- A report made to the Board?
- A constituency document posted for discussion?
- An opinion of an individual sent to the GA?
- Hearsay at an ICANN meeting?
Further it is hard to see how the TF could cover all possible re-structuring variants with their associated uncertainties simultaneously and reach a meaningful conclusion. That's a pretty massive challenge. If you want to propose a methodology for doing this as a future proposal for the work of the TF please do so.