[nc-org]

[nc-org] RE: protocol specification in the policy

Hello Milton,

Thanks for copying me in on the correspondence on this issue.

I would like to re-iterate my original comments.  Registrars do not want to
develop yet another interface to a different protocol, and do not want a
lower grade of service for their customers than what they currently have.

I can accept removal of specific protocol names, but the "policy" principles
should be:
(1) The ".org" registry should match or improve on the performance
specifications of the current ".org" registry
(2) The registry-registrar protocol should either remain the same as the
current ".org" registry, or it should match the new international standard
for registry-registrar protocols being developed in the Internet Engineering
Task Force.

The current text that talks about "good" service - relative to what? - is
too vague, and the statement to minimise transitional expenses for
registrars is a good aim, but I would like more precise wording.

The whole point of registrar input is to provide some more detail to the
original proposal from the registrar perspective.

We wasted alot of time on the protocol issue in the recent ".au" tender RFP
(the RFP was put out for comment and after strong lobbying from registrars
and potential registrars - it eventually specifically included the
requirement for the new EPP protocol).

You have been quite specific on other areas of the policy, so it would be
appropriate to be equally specific in the technical policy.

I will review your wording and suggest some alternative wording for your
consideration.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin