De: Milton Mueller [mailto:mueller@syr.edu]
Enviado el: Lunes, 26 de Noviembre de 2001 19:43
Para: gcarey@carey.cl; nc-org@dnso.org
Asunto: Re: RE: [nc-org] Discussion with McLaughlin

Guillermo:
Thanks for your comments.

On the one hand, I agree that every
constituency should be able to review
and issue evaluations of applications.

And of course all aspects of the proposal
should be open and transparent.

I am proposing something that I don't
think conflicts with those goals.
The proposed "special status" of
NCDNHC or some other conrgegation of noncommercial
interests was ONLY to issue opinions on the
legitimacy of the Sponsoring Organization
as a representative/sponsor of noncommercial
interests. Obviously the NCDNHC would be
in a better position to do that than the
other constituencies.

Keep in mind that I am not proposing
that this review committee have any
special rights with respect to the
other aspects of the application, just
that it tell the board whether
particular SO's pass the bar of
credibility or not.

Does that answer your concerns?

>>> "Guillermo Carey C." <gcarey@carey.cl> 11/26/01 17:48 PM >>>
Milton,

I have consulted with my constituency and I think that version 4.1 looks OK.
Thank you for all the hard work on drafting it.

Regarding Andrew's proposal, we don't agree. There should be an open and
transparent process for selecting the new .org registry operator, based upon
proposals submitted to ICANN and made available to the public (with
appropriate redactions of confidential information). The NCDNH constituency
may have the chance to prepare a report advising the ICANN Board on what
decision to make among the applicants.  So for that matter should any other
constituency or group, including IPC.  As long as the process is transparent
there is no need to make any special arrangement for any constituency.

Andrew's approach will pobably affect competition in the SO, so we should
avoid these type of arrangements.

Guillermo