[nc-org]

[nc-org] Re: Dot org report

On 2001-11-08 13:23:43 -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:

>In effect, Roessler is asking us to write a detailed Request for
>Proposals (RFP), which asks for such things as a detailed business
>plan, the contractual and legal capabilities of the sponsoring
>organization to enforce an outsourcing contract, etc.

That's a slight mis-characterization of what I've been writing.

Of course, I am suggesting requirements for an RFP.  However, most
of these suggestions are in response to elements of an RFP which are
already contained in version 3.3 of the policy.  Thus, your argument
that the task force "isn't writing an RFP" doesn't hold at all.  In
fact, you're doing precisely that: prepare a high-level outline of
ICANN's request for proposals.  Where the task force's high-level
ideas introduce problems, covering implementation details may become
necessary.

1. My notes concerning the non-profit question are clearly a
suggestion for what should go into the RFP.  So is the task force's
decision to mandate a non-profit sponsoring organization.

I still have strong doubts whether this decision is actually
reflecting community consensus - in particular, I'm missing _any_
outreach efforts into the circle of current .org registrants.  The
NCDNHC is hardly representative of these registrants.

As a corollary of this, if the task force insists on this
requirement, it should also make sure that this requirement does not
put the stability of .org at risk.  In particular, this means that a
non-profit sponsoring organization should have to fulfill the same
conditions a for-profit SO would have to conform to, as far as
stability (including business stability) is concerned.

2. My comments concerning the requiremnt of a solid business plan,
etc, in particular with un-incorporated candidates: This is in
response to the task force's idea that "a new organization need not
be formally incorporated prior to submitting its application"
(section 2 of the report).

Once again, the task force introduces a requirement on the RFP which
may have unintended side effects, and just like in the non-profit
vs. for-profit case, the task force should make clear that an
unincorporated sponsoring organization candidate must present
evidence that it is as credible as an incorporated candidate.

(Also, I'm not sure whether or not getting proposals from
unincorporated organizations may produce legal risks [who's the
contracting party?], or is even practically possible [who pays the
lawyers? where are the employees?].)

3. My notes about outsourcing are in response to the part of section
2 of the report which states that a sponsoring organization should
be "authorized to contract with commercial service providers".

Normally, one may actually even argue that the task force is doing
unnecessary micro-management here ("of course services can and will
be bought elsewhere"), but in this specific case, with few possible
registry operators and a single huge player (Verisign) on that
market, the selection of the partner and the contractual conditions
of this kind of outsourcing (which may happen immediately or at a
later point of time) quickly become a policy issue.

In fact, the risks involved become even larger when the task force
wants to favor small non-profit sponsoring organizations: Such
organizations may easily be the considerably weaker party in
contracts with registry service outsourcing partners.  Such a
situation could possibly become rather ugly, and make contracts
worth less than the paper they are written on - because litigation
would be too costly (and, thus, there's no possibility for a
credible threat of litigation).

For this reason, I'm asking the task force to include requirements
on the Sponsoring Organization which should help to mitigate (or at
least assess) this kind of risk.

4. My notes about participation plans are basically about putting
some meat to the task force's RFP requirement about "international
support and participation".  Without that, this requirement boils
down to a lip-service to some kind of politically correct zeitgeist,
and could just as well be removed from the policy.

5. Concerning non-refundable application fees, I think that opening
up the RFP process to low-budget (or, far worse, no-brain)
organizations would be unwise. It would, in fact, consume resources
which are needed more urgently in the assessment of serious
proposals.  A slightly higher non-refundable application fee may
help to keep some problematic proposals away (and it may help to
finance the selection process).

I won't re-iterate my notes about the cost the application process
itself will create.

6. There's a questionable point I didn't note when I prepared my
original comments: In 1b, third bullet point, the task force is
talking about an adaption of the newly introduced CEDRP _if_ it can
_not_ result in the cancellation of delegations, in order to assure
SO and registrar diligence.  This looks like nonsense to me.  In
particular, according to
<http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/sponsored/sponsorship-agmt-att12-13oct01.htm>:

	1. Charter Eligibility Dispute Resolution Policy. The CEDRP
	is followed by all ICANN-Accredited Registrars with respect
	to the Sponsored TLD. The CEDRP is attached as Exhibit 1 to
	this Attachment, and is made a part of the registration
	agreement, enforceable by Sponsor, between the Registered
	Name Holder and either Sponsor or the applicable registrar
	(see Subsection 3.7).

Now, what kind of role should the CEDRP play if (1) "registrars
should rely entirely on end-user choice to determine who registers
in .org", and (2) the SpO "should not adopt ... dispute initiation
procedures that could result in the cancellation of domain
delegations"?  Also, how should the CEDRP ensure SO and registrar
diligence given the above quote?

7. In Milton's latest draft (v4), section 3, there's the added
sentence that "the new entity must keep the cost of registration as
low as possible".  This is a dangerous requirement, and one that's
incompatible with other requirements in the policy.  It's, in
particular, incompatible with extensive registrant involvement
(which produces costs).  And it's dangerous because it disregards
the simple fact that quality of service is costly.  The task force's
statement should NOT encourage practices which change .org into a
low-cost low-quality TLD.  That's something you can try with a new
TLD started from scratch.

Kind regards,
--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/