[nc-org]

Re: [nc-org] implementation and TF process

"Milton Mueller" <Mueller@syr.edu> wrote:

> Ken:
> Principle 3 of the existing statement (v 3.0) addresses this
> point and provides adequate guidance. We call for efficient and
> reliable operation and a high quality of service. Remember, we
> are doing POLICY. The staff has to draft the RFP, and the
> community as a whole will have plenty of time to assess
> the professionalism of the applicants. In my opinion, this is
> a non-issue.

> you dont really believe that the ICANN board would just "turn over the
> registry" to a group of people without professional "management
> experience"..& proper technical expertise.. to do so would be a breach of
> the boards responsibility to the current users of ".org" as well as the
> internet community..

Milton,

> are doing POLICY. The staff has to draft the RFP, and the
> community as a whole will have plenty of time to assess
> the professionalism of the applicants. In my opinion, this is
> a non-issue.

The POLICY matter in Dot Org is about implementation of
new operational unit, size 3 million domain names.
We have to understand it exactly.

Let me state it differently. Why dot Org is being moved ?
At which cost VeriSign accepted to do so ? At the cost they
keep the whole enormous dot Com, as Registry, and as Registrar.
They are the only one company in the world with the priviledge of
keeping millions of domain names registered, with as much
customers registered, collecting money from the whole world.

The dot Org is an order of magnitude smaller, but still huge.
The POLICY issue here is to devise fair conditions for dot Org
successor, to preserve security and equilibrum of Internet.
We have to take into account important considerations related
to competition, to the worldwide origin of customers which all
send money one direction today, to data protection, to language
diversity, etc. It is a big responsibility.

Elisabeth