[nc-intake]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

[nc-intake] First steps

Well hello NC colleagues on the Intake committee. Sorry I could not be with you in Japan.

I am most impressed by the enthusiasm for the NC intake Committee. In the last NC discussion on this, (bearing in mind it just sets an agenda) the NC work group chaired by Richard Lindsay had accepted Berkman Center recommendations of an Intake Committee of three!

For the record, here is the recommendation that was sent to the NC for comment (and withered in silence). Shall we use this as the starting point for our discussions?
Philip

Overall, we recommend implementing the procedures proposed
by the Berkman Center with the following additions, or clarifications:

1.  For the physical meetings propose to add a generic "to be
recognized" colored card such that:

white card - normal intervention
yellow card - as Berkman
red card - as Berkman.

The view was that the cards do provide a better visual indication to the

chair than a hand alone, and allow the chair to choose the priority of a

red card over other interventions.

2.  For teleconferences adopt the following procedures:

In order to participate, use the verbal equivalent of the colored
card system by stating your name and saying aloud:
(this is modified from Richard's first posting )
to speak - normal intervention = "XX to speak"
for information = (yellow card) "xx point of information"
for procedure = (red card)  "xx point of order"

3.  With regard to the Intake Committee, the following is proposed:

a.  Membership:  3 members made up of the GA Chair and 2 designated
members of the Names Council.  The term would be for 1 year, and during
that time, there would not be rotations among the NC members.

(While I had suggested having the NC Secretariat participate in the
place of the 2nd NC member - in order to not have the body NC
dominated - the majority felt this was not an appropriate task for
the Secretariat.)

2.  Methodology:

a.  Input:  a separate "comments@dnso.org" alias would be established
with no limitations on posting.  Thus any GA member, working group
member,
or even outsider could post to comments for review by the Intake
Committee.
If email posts become too difficult to manage, a "form submission" on
the DNSO
web site with mandatory fields should be set up.  This  would also allow
direct
submission to each member of the Intake Committee (a special mail box if
they
choose) and protect them from spam.

b.  Intake:  The Intake Committee would review the comments mails at
least one week prior to any NC meetings or teleconferences (this may be
done via teleconference, or simply by email) and submit a condensed list
of
issues to be submitted and discussed by the NC.  The IC would have no
position to comment on the validity of the posts, but rather just to
organize
them in a succinct manner such that the NC could review them
in one sitting during a meeting.

c.  Reporting:  It would be beneficial and in keeping with the goals of
transparency
and openness to have the Intake Committee submit their results to both
the NC,
posted to the DNSO home page, and emailed to the GA list as well.
Philip Sheppard
AIM - European Brands Association
9  av. des Gaulois  B-1040 Brussels
Tel +322 736 0305 Fax +322 734 6702

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>