[nc-idn]

[nc-idn] Fwd: Re: Chinese Domain Name Consortium (CDNC) Declaration

Fyi.
From porteneu Sun Feb  3 16:44:52 2002
To: deng@cnnic.net.cn, erin@twnic.net.tw, mclaughlin@pobox.com
Cc: Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr, Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca,
    ajm@icann.org (Andrew McLaughlin), alanysho@hkdnr.net.hk,
    christine.tsang@hkdnr.net.hk, fred@cisco.com (Fred Baker),
    harald@alvestrand.no (Harald Alvestrand),
    hlqian@cnnic.net.cn (Hualin Qian), hoho@iis.sinica.edu.tw (Ho Jan-Ming),
    htk@eecs.harvard.edu (H. T. Kung), huangk@alum.sinica.edu (Kenny Huang),
    iab@isi.edu, idn@ops.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, jasonho@umac.mo,
    jet-member@nic.ad.jp, jseng@pobox.org.sg (James Seng/Personal),
    klensin@jck.com (John Klensin), lee@whale.cnnic.net.cn (Xiaodong Lee),
    lynn@icann.org (Stuart Lynn), mao@cnnic.net.cn (Wei Mao),
    mkatoh@mkatoh.net (Masanobu Katoh), mouhamet@next.sn (Mouhamet Diop),
    narten@us.ibm.com (Thomas Narten), nordmark@eng.sun.com (Erik Nordmark),
    paf@cisco.com (Patrik Falstrom), phoffman@imc.org (Paul Hoffman),
    qhhu@public.bta.net.cn (Qiheng Hu),
    sharil@cmc.gov.my (Mohamed Sharil Tarmizi),
    shkyong@kgsm.kaist.ac.kr (Sang-Hyon Kyong), snw@twnic.net.tw (Nai-Wen Hsu),
    sstseng@twnic.net.tw, tsenglm@cc.ncu.edu.tw (Li Ming Tseng),
    vcerf@mci.net (Vint Cerf), whzhang@cnnnic.net.cn (Zhang Wen Hui),
    wschen@twnic.net.tw (Wen-Sung Chen),
    wuch@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Chun-Hsin Wu), yktham@umac.mo
Subject: Re: Chinese Domain Name Consortium (CDNC) Declaration

Dear Xiang Deng,

Thank you very much indeed to insist on the problem,
and provide an excellent pedagogical explanation using
"a" and "A", and refering to the economy and cost.

Latin and Cyrillic scripts have completely different
code points in Unicode, while these scripts share many
signs which are the same when printed on paper or on screen.
No need to add that the upper and lower case of letters are
different code points in Latin script and in Cyrillic script.

The combinatory effects are terrible, and they are language
independent. It is the same everywhere, not only for Chinese
code points. Pure maths, the same for everyone.

Assume Chinese name of 10 glyphs. Each one may take 2 versions,
TC or SC. The number of possible configurations is 2**10 = 1024.
It means that to effectively register a name (i.e., get all
of the predicable variants pointing to the same place)
of 10 glyphs one have to pay 1024 times for such a domain name.

Assume now a Latin or Cyrillic name of 10 signs. The same
reasoning apply, each character in Unicode have two different
versions, one Latin, one Cyrillic. And I forget the upper and
lower case, "a" and "A".
The number of possible configurations is 2**10 = 1024.
It means that to effectively register a name of 10 code points
and protect it in Latin and Cyrillic scripts one have to pay
1024 times more than in "LDH".

For a label of 5 code points we have 32 times the cost,
for 5 - 64, for 7 - 128, etc. It is tremendous cost increase.
The company "MacDonald", 9 code points, will have to buy
2**9 variants of its name, 512, pointing to the same place.
The company "ICANN", 5 code points, will have to buy 2**5
variants of its name.

It reminds me about the inventor of chess game, who requested
to be paid in grains, 2 to the power of number of squares,
2 to the power of 64. There was not enough grains on the Earth
to pay for it.

There is not enough grains now. What will be the effect on world
economy ? Is ICANN going to announce to the world that it must
multiply its Internet names budget by a factor of hundred or
thousand to be able to face IDN coming ?

What makes me even more scared is to announce to the world that
the printed information with URLs, on paper or screens alike,
will become useless.
The printed names will be undefined without having script
precised for each and every sign. The real chaos.

Elisabeth Porteneuve