[nc-corp]

[nc-corp] AFNIC EXPENSES FOR JULY 2003

You will recall that at the last meeting of the GNSO Council
Budget Committee,  the Committee considered the issue of a
transition from the old to the new budgetary arrangements
for the GNSO.  The Committee authorized me to write to ICANN
management strongly encouraging them to conclude
arrangements with AFNIC for the parallel operation of the
old AFNIC-provided GNSO Website and Listserv systems during
a one month transition period in order to minimize the risk
of any type of failure of the GNSO Website and Listserv's.
This would require that AFNIC continue t provide technical
services to the GNSO during the transition month, July 2003,
which was not previously budgeted.

The Committee also authorized me to strongly encourage ICANN
management to reach an arrangement with Glen de St Gery soon
so that there was no risk of an interruption in secretariat
services to the GNSO as a result of the transition.)  To the
point:  In order to ensure continuous service to the GNSO
Council, the Committee authorized on a contingency basis the
payment of one month of AFNIC's fees (US $1,800) or one
month of FISAT's fees (US $4500) in the event that ICANN
management did not commit to make these payments.

In this way, both FISAT and AFNIC were assured of payment
for April services, although the Committee strongly felt
that it was the responsibility of ICANN management, not the
GNSO, to cover these cost for July 203 services.

This note is to advise you that Glen has informed me that
ICANN management has declined to cover operating expenses
for AFNIC's Website and Listserv services for July 2003, and
upon written confirmation of this by AFNIC, the contingency
in the Committee's authorization of payment to AFNIC will
have been met and the GNSO will pay AFNIC's July, 2003
operating expenses for Website and Listserv services to the
GNSO.

Roger Cochetti
Chair
GNSO Council Budget Committee