[nc-corp]

[Re: [nc-budget] Owed to ICANN - re: action last NC call]

  • To: Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr>
  • Subject: [Re: [nc-budget] Owed to ICANN - re: action last NC call]
  • From: Louis Touton <touton@icann.org>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:21:25 -0700
  • CC: schroeder@icann.org

Elisabeth,

Thanks for your quick response.

The constituency members are entitled to basic information about what
they are paying for, and I think general information about (for example)
Glen's expenses is appropriately posted.  On the other hand, I don't see
the need to spread private details about Glen--for example, what she
likes to eat for breakfast, etc.  I wouldn't see the need, for example,
to post her receipts.  Providing an appropriate way to deal with
essentially private details is one reason for having a budget committee
made up of NC members that can be trusted by the whole NC--so that they
can review the private details and make sure expenses are appropriately
being charged, etc.  (In some ways this is similar to the DNSO voting
process and having a watchdog committee.)  Perhaps a
non-publicly-archived nc-budget list should be established for the sole
purpose of discussing/distributing private information.  In all events,
of course, fair summaries of expenses should be made public.

On the Worldcom bills, as you note we have an agreement to keep the
pricing confidential.  While pricing may be something of an open secret
among Worldcom and its competitors, and while Worldcom is unlikely to
sue ICANN over this, I think that ICANN should endeavor to live up to
its contracts whenever it can.  That builds trust so that other entities
will be willing to deal with ICANN, and provide it preferential rates.
In the circumstances, I think it would be best to remove your posted
note from the DNSO website, or to revise it to omit those lines that
give the individual-call cost information.  (Perhaps just replace those
lines with "[details omitted]" or something like that.)  Can you arrange
for that to be done?  I do think it would be wise to take some remedial
action to remove this information before a Worldcom competitor finds it,
rather than just planning to refrain from additional infractions in the
future.

Thanks so much for your help.

Louis