[nc-budget]

[nc-budget] Raw notes from 27 Oct breakfast Budget Committee meeting

Dear Colleagues,

Below are notes in telegraphic style, which were not intended to be
minutes of the meeting ... Some parts might be missing.
All mistakes are unwanted and mine, please provide corrections
if necessary.

Elisabeth
--
The NC Budget Committee held a meeting in Shanghai on 27 October
early morning, with Stuart Lynn and Louis Touton attending.

The main purpose of that meeting was to assess the DNSO Secretariat
situation and consider the transition period related to ICANN Reform.

 1. It is reasonable to estimate the ICANN 2 starts between March
    and July 2003, rather July. The new Bylaws foresee to provide
    financial support to the SO's.
 2. The conservative approach is at the end of this year 2002,
    the NC will have $30,000 cash in hand (maybe $35,000).
    The average monthly expenses are at $7,200. Some of missing
    contributions might be paid to the NC Secretariat (ISPs, BCs,
    $4,500 from ccTLDs - CENTR decision taken before Shanghai).
    To be safe, $50000 are needed until July 2003.
    The necessity to have Secretariat and responsibility to fund it.
 3. The question arises who is going to be successor to the current
    DNSO and the NC Secretariat: GNSO or ccNSO or both. The current
    assets of the DNSO shall split accordingly. Shall the current
    DNSO Secretariat serve both during transition?
 4. While the GNSO is the main interest of Budget Committee,
    it is important to work on transition with the ccNSO.

--
Raw notes:

Budget Committee 27 October 2002, 07:00-08:30, breakfast meeting

Attendees: Stuart Lynn, Louis Touton, Chuck Gomes, Roger Cochetti, Bruce
Tonkin, Glen de St Gery, Marilyn Cade, Ken Stubbs, Elisabeth Porteneuve

Stuart Lynn:
Starting July 2003, 12 cents - to 17 cents par domain, it includes
Registry+Registrars contribution. Contingency on the budget itself.
If everything move as planned, there is enough contingency now until July
2003.
Transition plan takes after Shanghai.
Questions: from now to July

Marilyn Cade:
Concept of policy support from staff.

Roger Cochetti:
Would your plans not cover everything we need.

Stuart Lynn:
Listen from you as transition plan what you think GNSO may need.

Louis Touton:
Last year you put numbers.

Roger Cochetti:
July 1st NON, January 1st.

Stuart Lynn:
Talking Jan to July 2003
Unforeseen project, maybe some help, but not at the level you would like to
see.

Louis Touton:
Look at 2 steps, now to July, then after July.

Stuart Lynn:
It might be DNSO will continue until something like March.

Ken Stubbs:
We need to give you two plans, funding through July next, then transition
July forward.
We need to give them sort of certainty.

Stuart Lynn:
You may assume GNSO starts March.

Marilyn Cade:
Until now we had a choice of staff, how do you envision your participation
in the GNSO not only a type of support but also select that staff.

Stuart Lynn:
It will be role of my successor, committee.

Roger Cochetti:
The likelihood ICANN finishes budget on GNSO, there will be areas of non
fund, not even money for telecons.

Louis Touton:
We speculate of preferences of both sides.

Marilyn Cade:
Take into account telecons for TFs.

Ken Stubbs:
Give us a structure we have to dealing with in the future, policy new
organization, that we do not get into circumstances to cumulate problems.
Will be task pushed on ICANN on last moment.

Stuart Lynn:

Roger:
Who is a successor to DNSO ?

Louis Touton:
If you program DNSO to GNSO, it will be important to get consent. Otherwise
I will follow strategy.

Roger Cochetti:
There are receivables.

Louis Touton:
Is matter of transition.

Roger Cochetti:
Legal entity, I mean from ...

Ken Stubbs:
Most important sort of insurance to Glen+AFNIC, big concern.

Stuart Lynn left at 7:45

Roger Cochetti:
If we get some money, and then money left, you give back to donors.

Louis Touton:
You may advice additional funds will be raised for DNSO, but if something
left, split to GNSO and ccNSO.
If DNSO spent before.

Louis Touton:
Transition, grab future before left past.

Marilyn Cade:
We may want services ICANN to fund starting July. We may be unable to
fund until July.

Roger Cochetti:
Suppose July 1st DNSO ends, GNSO and ccNSO begin. Request reimbursement in
July 15th for reimbursement of expenses of June.

Ken Stubbs:
Make absolute clear.

Marilyn Cade:
After July 1st the same relationship ? Budget for incorporating, cost ?

Roger Cochetti:
Some GNSO expenses may be outside of ICANN, we do not know yet whether it
occur and category of cost which may be outside.

Louis Touton:
Separate incorporator.

Marilyn Cade:
We should not be separate incorporation, my constituency advices me.

Robert Cochetti:
They may be complete different reasons to do it.

Louis Touton:
Make clear: financing in new Bylaws reaches into SOs but not down to
constituencies.
Everything done now without separate structure.

Ken Stubbs:
Awareness of budget, daily calls, opening of ...

Louis Touton:
Some thoughts matching of GNSO and ccNSO.

Roger Cochetti:
Two function will follow the DNSO: GNSO and ccNSO. Don't you have advisory
committee of dealing with it ?

Louis Touton:
We haven't look with absolute symmetry. ccNSO is somewhat different
structure.
On notion on transition, part of DNSO is reassembled into GNSO.

Roger Cochetti:
Budget plan for DNSO. We need to know way a or b, but not two. Please be
clear.

Louis Touton:
General thinking NC will be GNSO NC for some transition, the same true for
Budget Committee.
Louis Touton:
Stuart supposes 2003 budget will be done on same principle.

Ken Stubbs:
Some of this committee to liaise with you, permanently, more enhanced
communications.

Marilyn Cade: Glen will do it.

Roger Cochetti:
Help if the NC develop financial concept of the NC.

Marilyn Cade:
Straw support.

Roger Cochetti:
The picture is bigger than ICANN.

Louis Touton:
To the extent DNSO, NC, Secretariat some of them became responsibility of
ICANN.

Chuck Gomes:
Is it accurate the biggest support ICANN to GNSO on policy development,
development, documents?

Louis Touton: The GNSO big part is policy.
For example assistance group GNSO, it call for manager it will be founded
position.

Breakfast arrives.

Business plan is not Budget Ccommittee issue.
End that year $35000. Louis Touton said that below $25000 end of year is
magical figure, liability.

Roger Cochetti:
We contemplate 6 month for 2003, with the assumption we turn over to GNSO or
ccNSO.

Ken Stubbs:
Be realistic: we plan $50000.

Roger Cochetti:
Then we have reminder in July, to have flexibility.

Marilyn Cade: BC is going to pay.

Ken Stubbs:
Lets not use political tool, fund next year (say it to Harold)

Roger Cochetti:
End of year $30000 in bank, for next year we can assume DNSO budgetary
entity for 6 months.

Ken Stubbs:
14-15 December Sheraton Schipol.

Roger Cochetti:
Lets do Bruce his job: he wants to await November NC

Bruce Tonkin:
For next year mid December is too late.

Roger Cochetti:
Budget Committee next week, follow up, then mid-November NC approval.

Marilyn Cade :
ccNSO creation, important to discuss how we work together on transition.

Roger Cochetti:
Macro issue, should the ccTLD participate in the DNSO.

Marilyn: