[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[icann-nominations] acceptance of nomination
Call for Nominations for the election of ICANN Board members
Template for acceptance of the nomination
1. Full name: Stefano Trumpy
2. E-mail address: email@example.com
3. Organization you work for (if apply): IAT/CNR (Institute for Telematic Applications of the National Research Council of Italy)
4. Snail-mail address (street, city, country): Via Santa Maria 36, 56100 Pisa, Italy
5. The region that includes the country of which you are a citizen: Europe
6. The region that includes the country in which you reside: Europe
7. A clear statement of acceptance of the nomination:
I am glad to accept the nomination and ready to serve in teh ICANN Board if elected
8. If you are a Member of the Names Council, state your intention (*)
to resign from the Names Council if you are elected to the ICANN Board: not applicable
9. A Curriculum Vitae (no more than 500 words long):
Stefano Trumpy, born in 1945, is research manager at the Institute for Telematic Applications of the National Council for Research of Italy, located in Pisa (IAT/CNR).
Present major activities:
o head of the department of IAT/CNR "International relations" with special interest on the evolution of the "Information Society".
o Adminstrator of the ccTLD ".it" which is delegated to IAT/CNR and representative of Italy at CENTR (Coordination of European TLD Registries).
o Technical advisor to the Italian government representative at GAC/ICANN. In this position he is organizing information gathering for the public authorities involved in the Internet exploitation in Italy.
o Officer of the Internet SOCiety (ISOC) Advisory Council, representing the organizational members of ISOC. CNR is one of the founding members of ISOC.
o Technical coordinator of the RINAF (Regional Informatic Network for Africa) in the frame of the Intergovernmental Informatics Programme (IIP) of UNESCO. This project, started in 1992, introduced basic Internet services in 15 countries in Africa.
o Technical advisor to the Municipality of Livorno for the deployment of the local civic network and related services.
Major career milestones:
o from June 1995 through June 1999
President of TERENA (Trans European Research and Education Networking Association)
o from 1995 to 1999 (June)
Italian representative in the G7 - GIBN (Global Interoperability of Broadband Networks) pilot project. GIBN is one of the 11 projects for the activation of the Information Society, launched in Feb 95 in Bruxelles by the G7 plus European Union.
o from 1983 to 1996
Director of CNUCE, an Institute of CNR involved in information science, advanced computing, research networks and applications of informatics.
o from 1987 to 1993
Italian representative in the Eureka COSINE (Cooperation for OSI Network for Europe) project.
o from 1984 to 1990
EARN (European Academic and Research Network) Director for Italy.
o from 1980 to 1983
Responsible of the computing and networking infrastructure of CNUCE.
o from 1975 to 1980
Responsible of CNUCE's group for satellite ground control systems; during this period he spent two years at NASA Goddard Space Fligth Center in Washington area where he acted as Fligth Operations Manager for an Italian telecommunications satellite.
o from 1971 to 1975
Researcher at CNUCE, with activities in the field of APL language, conversational languages and computer graphics.
o Februaty 1969
Graduation in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Pisa.
Languages: Italian: mother tongue.
English and French: advanced level.
10. A statement indicating your ideas, intentions and/or the reason why
you consider you should be elected to serve in the ICANN Board
(no more than 500 words):
As a researcher, since late seventies, I have been constantly interested in monitoring the increase of complexity of the networks both for technical and managerial aspects.
As Director of CNUCE, an Institute of the Italian National Research Council (CNR), I promoted in the mid-eighties the interconnection of our institute to ARPAnet and the introduction of EARN (the European BITnet) in Italy. CNR/CNUCE was among the founding members of ISOC, and I have been active in ISOC activities and INET conferences; recently I served as officer in the Advisory Council, representing the organizational members of ISOC. I have been involved in the ccTLD ".it" since its beginnings, and I am now the administrator of that TLD. My institute (CNR/IAT) is also providing technical support to a few TLDs of developing countries. Lately, I have been involved in ICANN process, representing the ccTLDs constituency and I acted also as advisor of the Italian government representative in GAC.
With those experiences, I have the confidence to be able to provide a valuable support to the ICANN Board.
If elected, it is my intention to focus at least on the following aspects:
- the establishment of contractual relationships between ICANN and ccTLDs; I am convinced that this is an important achievement not only for ccTLDs but also for the stability and the funding of ICANN;
- the issue of legitimization of ccTLDs in their countries and, more generally, as a global entity; there is a growing interest on the part of the governments about the "Internet governance", not always with coherent approaches, and there is the need of a continuous sensitization and coordination efforts to preserve the unity of the network and an ordered development;
- the harmonization between the evolution of ccTLDs and gTLDs; this last point is particularly crucial at present times, with the ongoing discussion about "open" or "closed" TLD, and it is not easy to see how to reconcile conflicting interests, maintaining at the same time a compatibility with previous history.
(*) ICANN has indicated its desire to change the Bylaws to make the office of Member of the ICANN Board incompatible with the
the office of Member of the DNSO Names Council (the proposed amendments can be found at
http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws-changes-16sept99.htm). As this is not yet official, Members of the Names Council who wish
to be considered as candidates will be requested to state (just for information of the voters) if they will resign from the Names
Council if they are elected to the ICANN Board.
According to the proposed Bylaws amendments it is anticipated that a Names Council Member cannot vote or otherwise participate
in an election for ICANN Director in which that member is also a nominated candidate.
National Research Council of Italy (CNR)
Istituto per le Applicazioni Telematiche (IAT)
Via Santa Maria 36
I-56126 Pisa Italy
phone: +39 050 593 323 mobile: +39 335 373423 fax: +39 050 904052
e-mail: Stefano.Trumpy@iat.cnr.it http://www.iat.cnr.it