[icann-endorsements]

[icann-endorsements] Endorsement of James P. Love

3a. Full name of the endorser: Dr. Robert N. Mayer
                                                Professor of Family and
Consumer Studies, University of Utah
3b. E-mail address of the endorser: robert.mayer@fcs.utah.edu
3c. Full name of the accepted nominee you wish to endorse: James P. Love

ENDORSEMENT:

I have known Mr. Love for three years, mostly within the context of the
Trans-Atlantic Consumer Dialogue (TACD).   The TACD is a venture funded
by the U.S. and E.U. governments that brings together the leading
consumer organizations from the two sides of the Atlantic.  There are
approximately fifthy consumer organizations involved.  (I represent the
American Council on Consumer Interests.)  Mr. Love is the head of the
working group on electronic commerce.  In this role, he has done a
magnficent job of keeping participants informed about and involved in a
vast array of policy issues, ranging from the AOL-Times Warner merger to
WIPO decisions regarding domain names.  He has been particularly
diligent in communicating information about ICANN.

By virtue of Mr. Love's work for the Consumer Project on Technology, he
would bring a genuine public-interest perspective to ICANN's
deliberations.  The positions he would likely stake out would assist
ICANN in considering all perspective and options.  By the sake token, it
would be reasonable to ask how an activist like Mr. Love would function
in an organization that attempts to build consensus on contentious
issues.  Based on Mr. Love's work at the TACD, which also involves
reconciling disparate positions, I can attest to the fact that Mr. Love
is open to diverse points of view, is respectful towards those with whom
he disagrees, and is willing to compromise.

I strongly endorse James P. Love for the Domain Name Supporting
Organization position on the ICANN Board.

--
Election of the ICANN Board Director by the DNSO
Archives at http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/icann-endorsements/Arc00/maillist.html