Re: [ga] Privacy and Whois databases

 In your previous mail you wrote:

	     The dot.god and dot.satan top level domains will both support
	     anonymous registrations.

	 I'm not familiar with dot.god and dot.satan and some web searches turn
	ed
	 up nothing.  Could you elucidate please?

	     Any addressing information is between the
	     registrar and the domain holder, and not the business of anyone el
	se.

	 May I ask on what basis you make this statement?

	 The agreement that registrars make with ICANN
	    http://www.icann.org/nsi/icann-raa-28sept99.htm
	 says in Part F, Public Access to Data on SLD Registrations
	 that the `name and postal address of the SLD holder' must be listed/ma
	de
	 available in whois.   Admittedly `holder' is somewhat vague and you
	 might be able to argue that this could be the registrar or some agent
	 registration, on behalf of the person/organization who actually reques
	ted
	 the domain name and will own it.

no, the SLD holder MUST be the registrant (admin contact in the organization
requesting the domain name) which own the domain name, not the registrar.
There are many problems with some registrars which "keep" the registered
domaine name and the registrant have big difficulties to delegate its
domain name to another registrar.

	 I hope so.  I'd very much prefer to not list the domain name owner
	 contact information, and am searching for arguments to help our legal
	 folks buy into the idea.

in the WHOIS database we need "professional" information of the
administrative contact in its organisation, not some "private" information.

---
        Annie Renard    [nic@nic.fr]
        AFNIC/NIC France
	c/o INRIA domaine de Voluceau BP105, 78153 Le Chesnay CEDEX, France
	http://www.nic.fr/
	Personal Email: Annie.Renard@nic.fr