Re: [ga] The North American DNSO BoD chair

On 12 October 1999, Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 08:59:24PM -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:
>>

>> ...had better be Karl Auerbach.  With 40+ supporters, he has twice the
>> support of any other regional candidate.
>
>Sorry, that doesn't follow.  All it indicates is that people who
>support Karl took Roberto's idea to mind, and that most of the rest
>didn't.  According to the *actual* rules of the game, 10 supporting
>messages were all that were required, and after that there is no need
>to send in any more.  So therefore, if your favorite candidate has
>already got more than 10, no need for you to act...

Be prepared for a shock.  I agree with you.  However, I'd argue
that wasn't the case.  Were it the case,  few if any of the 14
"qualified" candidates (I use this because there's doubt about at
least one candidate) would have more than 10 votes.  Instead, several
have double the necessary 10, indicating that many people (including
youself, Kent, having demonstrated your knowledge and interpretation
of the rules) have voted their support far beyond the initial 10,
including yourself, Kent, on two occasions.

>> For The NC to ignore this would be a travesty.
>
>No, it is *absolutely necessary* for them to ignore it.  If they did
>not, it would penalize those who took the rules at face value.  (And
>I *know* what a stickler you are for following the rules.)

It's necessary for elected officials to ignore the will of their
constituencies?  It's necessary for the NC to ignore the will of the
GA?  You'll have to go into detail on this, because I'm just not
seeing it.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org