Re: [ga] Cross-posting

On 8 October 1999, Javier <javier@aui.es> wrote:

>Definitely the best defense of spamming I have seen in a long time.
>
>But some of us think that, as part of our consensus building process, we
>need to keep spammers out by not allowing cross-posting.

Hm.  I haven't seen anyone using the dnso.org MTA to send out tens
of thousands of unsolicited bulk e-mails.

I haven't seen anyone submitting egregiously off-topic posts to any
of the dnso.org mailing lists, soliciting business or atempting to
employ deceptive, illicit, or illegal business practices.

To paraphrase Inigo Montoya, "You use this word an awful lot.  I do
not think it means what you think it means."

If you want to limit cross-posting, fine, say so.  But don't do it
under the impression of "fighting spam".  You're just making yourself
look silly.  There's no higher purpose here; you just want to prevent
people from easily sending the same message to each of the fora in
which it would be appropriate for the content to be discussed.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org