RE: [ga] Proposed GA Adcom

Nii,

As I understand it, the current situation is that a proposal has been
brought forward by the GA mailing list that the General Assembly have some
sort of administration committee.

Now, (I think that) the GA processes are supposed to work as follows:  Once
a proposal has been worked up in the DNSO GA, it is supposed to be
forwarded to the Names Council for consideration and (possible) approval.

It would therefore be inappropriate for the GA to act on any proposal - in
this case to rush off to create a GA AdCom of any sort - without a
documented proposal being approved by the NC.

Also, in relation to the actual proposal, it seems to me that the proposed
GA AdCom would clash with the functions of the Names Council - and if this
is not the case, it should be explained to the NC.  If it is the case, the
proposal is unlikely to be approved.  Also, it should be noted that the
proposal (as I understand it) would likely involve a change in the DNSO By
Laws, and that would require the approval of the ICANN Board.

I would suggest that the GA proposal be documented and submitted in time
for consideration at the NC teleconference be held in the week after next
(date yet to be announced).

Thanks
Dennis

On Thursday, September 30, 1999 3:13 PM, Dr. Nii N. Quaynor
[SMTP:quaynor@ghana.com] wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> It has been suggested that in order to improve the identification of
agenda
> items for GA meetings and managing consensus building, an Adcom for the
GA