Re: [ga] We "decided" to defer the election of our ICANN board seats

Karl,

I disagree. To show you why, let's wait till we have a bit more progress
in nominating people and us nominated people begin publishing our
statements.

The discussion on the merits of each candidate should be as vigorous as
the one we held in the NCDNHC for applications of membership, a quite open
discussion in its time. That is a very good opportunity to show that the
GA is not emasculated at all. I know you would feel more comfortable with
a formally set-out procedure and a vote, but now there's a challenge to
your imagination of an
engineer-lawyer-trademark-owner-theatre-group-memeber...

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> > > Yet it seems that certain voices from the NC are trying to elimate the
> > > GA's voice from the process of selecting the DNSO's board seats.
>
> > somehow i am missing those voices
>
> The NC's process is one that essentially turns the GA into a nothing more
> than a secretariat for the collection of names.
>
> The bylaws give the GA, as a body, the specific authority to make
> nominations. The NC's so-called "procedure" turns that into a mockery by
> removing the ability of the GA as a body from having any discretion in the
> selection.
>
> And it is particular sad that this emasculation is being performed on the
> GA, the only body in all of ICANN that has an open memership.
>
> 		--karl--

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty,
     Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
     (Director, Computing Academic Services)
     Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM)
     Ciudad Universitaria, 04510 Mexico City DF MEXICO

Tel. (+52-5) 622-8541, 622-8542; Fax 622-8540