RE: [ga] Santiago DNSO GA Chair

At 02:56 PM 6/08/1999 +0200, R.Gaetano@iaea.org wrote:
>Joop,
>
>You wrote:
>
>> The problem is that there is an increasingly frustrated group of
>> disenfranchised  Individual Domain Name owners, stakeholders
>> in the DNS,
>> who's representatives have *not* been admitted as observers
>> on the NC and
>> who will have to wait for the ICANN official blessing until
>> they can fully
>> participate and have their representatives vote on the Names Council.
>> In the meantime, the NC can pass on recommentations from the
>> WG's to the
>> ICANN board
>> and determine policy on issues that directly affect these
>> stakeholders.
>> Therein lies a problem.
>>
>Would this problem be alleviated by participation in the WGs?

No , not really.  Many individual DN owners are participating, some very
constructively.  ;-)
But what's the use if they don't have a vote on the NC to pass on a
recommendation to the Board?
It increases the frustration to spend time on constructive proposals and
argument, only to see that
your representatives don't even get to vote on the results. Surely you can
understand that.

>I would like to be sure that, while focusing on the needs for extending the
>participation, for instance creating and recognizing new constituencies, we
>also use the tools that we have for bringing forward ideas and have some
>work done.
>
>I see more messages addressing the former topic than the latter.
>Therein may lay a problem ;>).

Not really Roberto, the former is the horse, and the latter the cart.
It is *necessary* to first get representation and procedure issues sorted
out, before starting the "work".

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , bootstrap  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org